Zion Christian Fellowship
Statement of Faith
- The purpose of this church is to glorify God. It will seek to attain this end through public worship to God, the preaching of the Scriptures, consistent Christian living by its members, personal evangelism, missionary endeavor and Christian education. (Ephesians 1:5-14; Colossians 1:9-10; Matthew 5:16; I Peter 2:9-12).
- We accept the Bible as our final authority in matters of faith and practice. We also acknowledge the Dortreich Confession of Faith (1632) and the Mennonite Confession of Faith (1963) as a declaration of chief articles of our general Christian faith.
- We believe the scriptures of the Old and New Testament as being verbally inspired by God and inerrant and infallible in the original writings, and that they are of supreme and final authority. Jesus is central in the message of all scriptures, and the doctrine and instruction of the New Testament is the final rule of life for the believer in the kingdom of God.
- We believe in one God eternally existing, yet co-equal persons, in the Trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten by God, conceived by the Holy Spirit and born to the virgin Mary.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Trinity, who convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgement. He is the life of the believer and He empowers the preaching and teaching of the Gospel.
- We believe that mankind was created in the image of God, sinned, and thereby incurred not only physical death, but spiritual death, which is separation from God, and that human beings are born with a sinful nature.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures as the perfect final sacrifice, and that all who believe in Him are justified on the basis of His shed blood.
- We believe in the resurrection of the crucified body of our Lord, His ascension into heaven and His present life there as High Priest and Advocate for us.
- We believe in the blessed hope, which is the personal, visible and imminent return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
- We believe that all who receive by faith the Lord Jesus Christ and repent of their sins are born again by the Holy Spirit and thereby become children of God and heirs of eternal life.
- We believe that the Christian church is the bride of Christ and therefore its members are called to live holy lives which are guided by the Holy Spirit, who transforms our minds, and by His grace we refuse to be shaped by the influences, principles, and practices of the godless world. We accept the teachings of Christ as given in the Sermon on the Mount to be relevant to our day and prescriptive of a way of life for us today.
- We believe that there are two kingdoms – the kingdom of Christ and His church and the kingdom of this world. Our primary allegiance is to the kingdom of Christ. We honor civil authorities, pay taxes, pray for our rulers, live obediently and peaceably, and love one another. We abstain from political involvement, and do not demand our rights or engage in warfare or unequal alliances with unbelievers. We practice nonresistance in our daily lives, as taught and demonstrated by Christ and the apostles. In matters where we are unable to defer to both kingdoms, we choose loyalty to the kingdom of Christ, while maintaining our attitude of honor and respect.
- We believe in the existence of a literal devil, who is still working in the world to destroy souls of men and that he and all his angels and all who do not receive Christ as their personal Savior will eternally perish in the lake of fire.
- We believe in the Church, whose mission it is to preach the Scriptures to all the world, all of its endeavors being guided by multiple leadership and supported by the wise stewardship of God’s people.
- We believe in the ordinances of the Church, given by the Lord and inspired by the Holy Spirit to be baptism, communion, washing the saints’ feet, marriage, the women’s prayer veiling, anointing with oil, and the kiss of charity.